The Bells Of St Marys
The Bells Of St Mary's
The first church of St Mary was built in Hamwic (later known as Hamtun and eventually Southampton) soon after 634AD. Throughout the centuries its fortunes have wavered, and the existing structure was completed in 1884. The bells were installed in 1914 with great ceremony, but in November 1940 the church was reduced to a shell by incendiary bombs, and the damaged bells were taken away for safe-keeping. However, new bells were recast from the originals, and rang again in 1948.
In 1914, visiting Australian composer A Emmett Adams, and lyricist Douglas Furber, heard them ringing across the town, and were so moved by them that they wrote "The Bells Of St Mary's". It was later sung by Bing Crosby in the film of the same name, and has been recorded by many others including Vera Lynn.
On the CD we are pleased to have been able to call on the talents of Holly Syddall on piano.
Also on the CD, we are particularly pleased to be able to include the sounds of the bells of St Mary's Church, Southampton, in their full glory.
Southampton In Song